Aloft Asheville Downtown Finds Forever Home for 100th Foster Dog
The Aloft Asheville Hotel is celebrating a milestone for the foster dog program that has served as a catalyst for similar programs at hotels across the country. FIDO loves that!
Lolly, a Papillon Chihuahua mix, went home today with the Hultin family from Flat Rock, marking the 100th dog to find its forever home through the foster dog program at Aloft Asheville Downtown, a McKibbon Hospitality property.
“We couldn’t be more excited to be Lolly’s forever family,” said Karen Hultin. “Adopting her through Aloft Asheville and working with their foster dog partner, Charlie’s Angels Animal Rescue, has been a wonderful experience. Their program is an excellent model that helps save the lives of dogs in need and serves as a fun perk for travelers and locals visiting the hotel.”
Since its launch in 2014 at the dog-friendly Aloft Asheville Downtown, the foster dog program has been featured in national news outlets and served as a catalyst for similar programs launched in seven states across the country as well as one in Canada. Three other McKibbon properties, the Aloft Greenville Downtown, Aloft Orlando Downtown, and Aloft Tallahassee Downtown, have started similar programs. In total, more than 200 dogs have found forever homes through the four McKibbon Hospitality properties.
“As someone who has been involved in our foster dog program since the very beginning, it has been truly wonderful to watch so many dogs find their forever homes,” said David McCartney, general manager of the Aloft Asheville Downtown. “In addition to making such a significant impact in Asheville, we are proud to have inspired other hotels across the country to do the same. We hope that more hotels will continue to adopt this model so that together as an industry, we can save the lives of more dogs in need.”
Through the program, Aloft Asheville Downtown partners with Charlie’s Angels Animal Rescue in Fletcher, North Carolina. The hotel houses one dog at a time that can be permanently adopted by hotel guests and locals. By taking dogs out of the traditional shelter and letting them stay at the hotel, guests can interact with the dogs in an intimate setting and get to know them before adopting.
Aloft Asheville Downtown Foster Dog Program
- Since its launch in 2014, Aloft Asheville Downtown’s dog adoption program has found forever homes for 100 dogs.
- The hotel houses one dog at a time who wears an “Adopt Me” vest and can be adopted and taken home by guests staying in the hotel. The program screens and matches each four-legged friend with the right adoptive parent.
- The hotel partners with Charlie’s Angels Animal Rescue in nearby Fletcher, North Carolina to foster dogs in need of a forever home. As a result of the program, overall adoption rates at Charlie’s Angels Animal Rescue have doubled.
- The adoption program has served as a catalyst for similar programs launched in seven states across the country as well as one in Canada.
- In addition to Aloft Asheville Downtown, foster dog programs have been implemented at 10 other hotels: Aloft Greenville Downtown (a McKibbon Hospitality Property); Aloft Orlando Downtown (a McKibbon Hospitality Property); Aloft Tallahassee Downtown (a McKibbon Hospitality Property); Aloft EpiCentre Charlotte; The Element West Des Moines; The Sheraton Four Points (Wakefield, MA); The Sheraton Milwaukee Brookfield; The Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa (Rancho Mirage, CA); Fontainebleau Miami Beach; and The Westin Ottawa.
- The Aloft Asheville Downtown dog adoption program has gone viral on social media and been featured in People, O Magazine, Condé Nast, The Huffington Post and on the NBC Nightly News and The Meredith Vieira Show, among other leading news outlets.
- Aloft Asheville Downtown is a dog-friendly hotel and allows guests to bring their pets free of charge. The hotel team’s goal is to make dogs feel at home during their stay by providing water dishes, a signature pet bed, dog toy and a locally baked doggy treat.
- Guests can take their pup on the hotel’s outdoor Air Level, which is complete with an artificial turf path made just for dogs to walk and play. During the weekend, the hotel typically has 15 or more dogs enjoy the Aloft Asheville Downtown experience.
Related blog posts
- Let’s Help Petcurean Uplift the Underdogs - One Lucky Pup with Free Food for Life
- GREATERGOOD.ORG CONTINUES TO ASSIST ANIMALS AND PEOPLE AFFECTED BY HURRICANE MARIA
- Chem-Dry Raises Over $28,000 in First Year of Partnership with Best Friends Animal Society
- Spotlite LED Makeup Mirror - Calling on Pet Moms On The Go!