Petcurean’s Poison Prevention Tips - 3 Things to AVOID for FIDO & FLUFFY
February 27, 2019 • Health & Wellness
March may be a month for luck and good fortune, but did you know that the iconic shamrock is actually toxic to cats and dogs? March is Poison Prevention Awareness Month, and Petcurean wants to ensure that Junior and your readers’ pets are safe,
What to avoid for dogs:
- Chocolate – Most pet lovers know that chocolate is a big no-no for Fido. Chocolate is harmful because of a toxic agent called theobromine, which can make your pup extremely ill and even lead to death.
- Grapes – A lesser known fact, grapes can lead to kidney failure in dogs. If you want to give your pup a sweet and healthy treat, opt for blueberries instead.
- Mushrooms – If you have a dog that spends a lot of time outside, it’s crucial to check your yard for mushrooms. There are many species of mushroom that are toxic to pets, such as the Amanita phalloides or ‘Death Cap’ mushroom, a potent poison at only 3 grams. Since there’s a multitude of other species that can harm your pet, it’s best to keep your lawn clean of any mushrooms just to be safe.
What to avoid for cats:
- Tuna – Although tuna is the classic delicacy for a cartoon cat, you should only feed your cat tuna when it’s produced in a cat food format. Tuna made for humans can cause digestive problems in your cat if fed as an occasional treat. Feeding them tuna on a more consistent basis can cause a painful condition called steatitis, or inflammation of the body's fat.
- Dairy products – Perhaps as iconic as cats and tuna, cats and milk are also a popular pairing. However, as cats age, they can become lactose intolerant causing them to vomit or have diarrhea after ingesting dairy.
- Lilies – The most common type of lily is toxic to cats only. If your cat eats a lily, it can lead to kidney failure which, if not treated quickly, may result in death.
Looking for a healthy and tasty option for your precious pets? Consider one of FIDO's favorites NOW Fresh by Petcurean.
About NOW FRESH:
So fresh, like it’s served straight from the pot, Petcurean’s NOW FRESH wet food is perfect served as a treat, topper, or as a complete and balanced meal. They are available in 13 delicious non-GMO recipes, featuring novel textures like the new shredded and minced recipes, stews, and pâtés, and are made with 100% fresh meats and fresh potatoes, carrots, peas, cranberries, sweet potatoes, and apples - all excellent sources of antioxidants, essential vitamins and minerals and dietary fiber to support digestive health. All NOW FRESH wet food is made with bone broth, which provides collagen and a meaty flavor that both dogs and cats love. There are even recipes formulated specifically for small breed dogs with ingredients that support oral health and fresh breath.