Pet Friendly Hotels and Banfield Pet Travel Tips
Tis the season to take a road trip and these important reminders can make traveling with FIDO a pleasure!
- If you determine your pet is safe to travel, schedule an appointment with your veterinarian to make sure your pet’s vaccinations and other preventive care are up-to-date and to get enough of your pet’s medications (if applicable) to last the duration of the trip.
- It’s also important to update your pet’s contact information before you leave on your trip. This includes making sure your pet’s identification on his or her collar is up-to-date. We also strongly recommend you microchip your pet – it’s the only permanent pet identification method that cannot be altered or removed. Remember that you need to update your contact information with the microchipping company whenever you move.
- When it comes to packing for your trip, keep your pet’s needs in mind. If possible, bring your pet’s food from home, or make sure you’ll be able to get it where you’re traveling to. Changing their diet on top of the stress of traveling may cause your pet to get diarrhea or an upset stomach. If your veterinary hospital does not have multiple locations with record sharing in the location you are traveling, you may want to bring a copy of the medical records with you.
- You’ll also want to pack your pet’s favorite toy or blanket, so that they have something familiar in unfamiliar places.
- A carrier is the best way to transport a pet in a vehicle. An unsecured pet can distract the driver or interfere with safe operation of a vehicle. Choose a carrier that allows your pet to stand up and turn around comfortably, yet doesn’t provide too much room for extra movement.
- Don’t forget to take breaks. Most highway rest stops provide designated areas for pets. Always keep your pet on a leash, and don’t forget to bring bags to dispose of your pet’s waste.
- Never leave your pet alone in a vehicle on a hot day, even if the windows are rolled down. Because a car’s glass traps heat, the vehicle’s temperature can quickly rise to lethal levels
Need some ideas for where to roam to?
The list of hotels below, has been awarded with the Hotels.com Loved by Guests award. These awards are based on authentic, trusted reviews left by customers who have actually stayed in the properties, meaning hotel guests are the real judges. The best part is that many of them are also pet-friendly!