What are you doing to ensure Fido’s safety while away from home
September 20, 2011 • Health & Wellness
Here at FIDO Friendly, we like to prepare for emergencies. In light of all the fury thrust upon the nation of late by Mother Nature (think flood, drought, wildfires, hurricane, even earthquake), it is more than apparent that our pets need to be as prepared for emergencies and evacuations as we do.
So what happens if you decide to board Fido and what would occur if an emergency popped up? Fido is in a strange kennel, not with his pack and you something happens where time is crucial.
Our friends at Wag’N Enterprises introduced the Personalized Emergency Training Services (P.E.T.S.) Program to help pet boarding facilities, hotels and daycares better prepare for possible emergencies and bolster pets’ safety while away from home. P.E.T.S. is a first-of-its-kind program in the United States and is customizable for each business, depending on their needs.
Ines de Pablo, executive director of Pet Emergency Management Division at Wag’N Enterprises, told us, "Many facilities don’t prepare for emergencies simply because they don’t know where to start. This is where P.E.T.S. can help. The program prepares and enables facilities to answer questions such as:
- What is our plan in case of a fire?
- How will we effectively protect life (human & pets), property and data during/after an emergency?
- How will we communicate about an emergency to staff, first responders and customers?
- How and where will we transport the evacuated animals?
- What steps are needed to recover or move our business after an emergency?"
So, how exactly does P.E.T.S. work? De Pablo said the program takes a comprehensive look at a boarding or daycare facility and identifies existing vulnerabilities and risks that need to be addressed. In addition to addressing current vulnerabilities, P.E.T.S. helps facilities prepare for next steps after an unexpected emergency –everything from communicating the emergency to pet parents to getting the facility up and running afterward.
Wag'N Enterprises was in 2007, offers pet emergency management solutions to service industries, first responders and pet parents to effectively mitigate, prepare for and respond to emergencies that impact pet health and safety.
Question: Does your boarding/dog day care have a pet emergency management system in place?
Join the FIDO Friendly magazine pack and never a single issue of the one magazine your dog will thank you for.
Related blog posts
- New Pet Seat Belt Crash Tested at U.S. and Canadian Safety Standards for Child Restraint Systems
- SURF DOG RICOCHET CHANGES THE LIVES OF COMBAT VETERANS WITH PTSD & KIDS WITH SPECIAL NEEDS
- CALMZ® ANXIETY RELIEF SYSTEM FROM PETMATE® Why Suffer? Simple. Proven. Effective
- Walkin’ Pets Rolls Out MINI Wheelchair for Smallest Pets